This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: configuring gcc 4.6 to use gold for LTO plugin
On 7 June 2011 14:51, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> This is because I don't have an in-tree ld and "ld --version 2>&1 |
>> fgrep plugin-opt" fails, so $gcc_cv_lto_plugin=no
>
> You mean ld --help, don't you?
Oops, sorry, yes. I mean --help, which is the test used in
gcc/configure in the 4.6 branch:
elif $ORIGINAL_PLUGIN_LD_FOR_TARGET --help 2>/dev/null | grep
plugin-opt > /dev/null; then
> ?Does your gold --help show --plugin-opt?
No:
$ ~/tools/Linux-x86_64/lto/bin/ld --help | fgrep plugin
$ ~/tools/Linux-x86_64/lto/bin/ld.gold --help | fgrep plugin
$ ~/tools/Linux-x86_64/lto/bin/ld.gold --version
GNU gold (GNU Binutils 2.21) 1.10
Copyright 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.
But ld.bfd from the same build does:
$ ~/tools/Linux-x86_64/lto/bin/ld.bfd --help | fgrep plugin
-plugin PLUGIN Load named plugin
-plugin-opt ARG Send arg to last-loaded plugin
That's why I suggested I could solve my problem by using
--with-plugin-ld=blahblah/ld.bfd, because the "ld --help | fgrep
plugin-opt" test would work.
> It should. ?If it doesn't, then that's the first thing to fix. ?What
> version of gold are you using? ?You didn't somehow configure the
> binutils with --disable-plugins, did you?
Not intentionally, no:
$ head ~/src/gcc/binutils-2.21/config.log
This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
It was created by configure, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.64. Invocation command line was
$ ./configure --prefix=/home/wakelj/tools/Linux-x86_64/lto
--enable-lto --enable-gold=default
Thanks for the answers, I now know that what I'm seeing is indeed odd
so that's why I was surprised. I'll try to get to the bottom of why
gold has plugins disabled but ld.bfd doesn't.