This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Back end question.
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: "Dmitry" <mittie at ukr dot net>
- Cc: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 07:29:03 -0700
- Subject: Re: Back end question.
- References: <E1QFROw-000NSH-2Y@ffe7.ukr.net> <E1QFSFj-0001RU-FF@ffe17.ukr.net> <mcraafaifsm.fsf@coign.corp.google.com> <mcrei4mihs7.fsf@coign.corp.google.com> <E1QFnrO-0000MD-Ry@ffe11.ukr.net> <mcr8vutdmoz.fsf@coign.corp.google.com> <E1QHaln-000PPM-3V@ffe16.ukr.net>
"Dmitry" <mittie@ukr.net> writes:
> Ok. But what if the compiler uses that unnecessary clobber for a
> branch or another CC dependent insn before reload, and if I remove
> that clobber in a define_split after reload, could I end up with a
> corrupted code?
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say. The compiler
can't use a clobber. Simply removing a clobber can't cause corrupted
code, because the compiler was already assuming that the value in the
register was unpredictable.
Ian
> --- ÐÑÑÐÐÐÐÐ ÑÐÐÐÑÐÐÐÐ ---
> ÐÑ ÐÐÐÐ: "Ian Lance Taylor" <iant@google.com>
> ÐÐÐÑ: "Dmitry" <mittie@ukr.net>
> ÐÐÑÐ: 29 ÐÐÑÐÐÑ 2011, 19:52:44
> ÐÐÐÐ: Re: Back end question.
>
>
>
>> "Dmitry" <mittie@ukr.net> writes:
>>
>> > I have one more question. If I have, for example, a define_insn rtx which matches a pattern generated by previous define_expand rtx. define_expand and define_split combination produces either a simple "set" rtx or "set" plus clobber of CC reg. And if in define_insn I specify a constraint that requires such an operand type which should generate a CC clobber, but initially there could be a combination of operands that does not clobber a CC and also does not satisfy constraints, so compiler must reload one or two operands in appropriate registers which satisfies constraints. In the case those appropriate registers should clobber a CC does a compiler add a suitable clobber rtx as written in define_split, or it just changes the registers names without any knowledge of a necessary clobber?
>>
>> If I understand your question correctly, then the compiler is not going
>> to add a clobber. Reload does not change the shape of the instruction.
>> It just shuffles registers to match the constraints. If you have
>> constraints which require a clobber, then the insn pattern should have a
>> clobber. You can use define_split to remove an unnecessary clobber
>> after reload is complete.
>>
>> Ian
>>
>>