Re: duplicate a variable!!!!

On 03/30/2011 01:28 PM, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Greicy.Costa-Marques@imag.fr writes:

I'd like to know if is possible to gcc to duplicate a variable? for example

int a=2; i have this

i want to do it: int a_1=2, a_2=2;

I have a code in c and i want to modify the gcc so it makes the
duplication of the variable. i like to do it at the level of RTL to
ASM.
I  know that there is a function (output_asm_insn) in final.c that
goes from RTL to ASM.
would anyone have any suggestions to do this?
Yes, it is possible.  However, you are going to have to learn a fair
amount of gcc infrastructure in order to do it.  One important question
is going to be how you know which variable you want to duplicate.
Presumably you don't want to duplicate all variables.  Another important
question is what you want to do with the duplicated variable.  If you
duplicate the variable in a straightforward way, the duplicate will
simply be removed by the optimization passes.

Ian

Whenever I see an unusual request (like this one) I always ask both "how", which Ian is answering, but "why". What are you trying to accomplish? Could it be done more simply with other tools?

--jeff