Re: Could my understanding of 'crti.o' in a ARM cross compile be verified?

>> [I assume] that I've somehow configured gcc to avoid
>> building 'crti.o' in the ./gcc directory, and I need to get the
>> configure script to want to build this. _Is this true_?
>
> No.
>
> crti.o comes from glibc, not gcc. ?You need the glibc appropriate for
> your target. ?Building a cross-compiler to a GNU/Linux target is
> complex. ?Looking at http://crosstool.org/ may help.

Complex indeed, and I have much reading ahead, thanks for the
link.

But the presence of the `crti.asm` source file
(`gcc-4.5.0/gcc/config/arm/crti.asm`) is misleading me.  Why is
it there? Is it for bare metal targets (sans glibc & Linux)?

And it may not be fair to ask here, but why do cross compiling
hints/hacks for the ARM often cite making changes to
`gcc-4.5.0/gcc/config/arm/t-linux` so that `crti.asm` file in the same
directory *does* get built and linked?

I guess I'm seeking an answer to the paradox: which comes first,
glibc or gcc?  I'm assuming that gcc does, but in a static form
that allows it to compile glibc, then use that to do a 'proper' gcc
build.

- Jamie