Make error, link test in zlib for cross compiler

I am trying to make an ARM cross compile from the current gnu gcc
sources. I am encountering a problem when compiling the first gcc cross
compiler. I get the error message "Link tests are not allowed after
GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES". I have attached a screen drop from the make
command.

My system: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The OS is patched to the latest patches for
that OS. The gcc version is 4.4.3. I have compiled and installed
gmp-5.0.1, mpfr-3.0.0 and mpc-0.8.2. All of these pass their make check
test.

I have downloaded and extracted: binutils-2.20.1, gcc-4.5.0 and
newlib-1.18.0.

I have configured and make binutils with the commands:
./configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=/donald/home --enable-interwork
--enable-multilib CC=gcc
make all install
Binutils appears to compile and link correctly, the executable files are
created, and no errors are shown.

However when I try to configure and make the first stage gcc compiler,
using these commands:
/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=/donald/home --enable-interwork
--enable-multilib --enable-languages="c,c++" --with-newlib
--with-headers=/donald/Documents/newlib/newlib/libc/include CC=gcc
make all-gcc install-gcc
The configuration process appears to work correctly, however the make
process fails when trying to compile the zlib library. The output of the
make process is copied to the attached file.

I can bypass this problem with adding the option --with-system-zlib.
However I would like to solve this issue. It appears to be unique to my
system, as I have searched the archives and have not found a similiar
problem. Several years ago there was a similiar problem in the libstdc
++-v3 library. I looked into that fix, but could not see a similiar
sequence of statements in zlib.

Can someone send me down a path as to what causes this problem, and how
to fix it.