This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: gcc and libbackend.a
On 20 July 2010 20:15, ranjith kumar <ranjithproxy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> ?I am debugging ?gcc-4.5.0 source code, built for C compiler only, using gdb.
> ?My question is ?why we can not ?keep break points on any of the ?back
> end functions(functions defined in libbackend.a library)???
>
> I am explaining my question in detail:
> ? I downloaded gcc-4.5.0 and build it in objdir=OBJDIR and installed
> into BIN directory.
> when I run make install, it is copying xgcc file from OBJDIR to
> BIN/usr/local/gcc.
>
> This is the command by which xgcc is built:
> gcc ?-g -fkeep-inline-functions -DIN_GCC ? -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
> -Wcast-qual -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissin ? ? ?g-prototypes
> -Wmissing-format-attribute -pedantic -Wno-long-long
> -Wno-variadic-macros -Wno-overlength-string ? ? ?s
> -Wold-style-definition -Wc++-compat -fno-common ?-DHAVE_CONFIG_H ?-o
> xgcc gcc.o opts-common.o gcc-options. o
> ? gccspec.o intl.o prefix.o version.o driver-i386.o
> ../libcpp/libcpp.a ? ../libiberty/libiberty.a .
> ./libdecnumber/libdecnumber.a
>
>
> So in building xgcc it is not using libbackend.a library. I think this
> is the reason why I am unable to keep breakpoints on any of the back
> end's functions.right?
> But why xgcc is not built by using libbackend.a library? From where
> xgcc/gcc is getting the backend functions definitions?
>
> Also what are cc,cc1-dummy files? They are built using libbackend.a library.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
When debugging gcc you need to know what your debugging if your doing
gdb on gcc your debugging the compiler driver but you want to check
gcc -v for what the compiler proper is being executed as so for
example you do gcc -v t.c is actually executing this:
/usr/local/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.0/cc1 -quiet -v
Desktop/t.c -quiet -dumpbase t.c -mtune=generic -march=pentiumpro
-auxbase t -version -o /tmp/cc8gLj3e.s
so you run gdb --args
/usr/local/libexec/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.6.0/cc1 -quiet -v
Desktop/t.c -quiet -dumpbase t.c -mtune=generic -march=pentiumpro
-auxbase t -version -o /tmp/cc8gLj3e.s
and you will be debugging the compiler check out this wiki link for more detail
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DebuggingGCC
Hope this helps let us know if it solves your problem!
--Phil