Re: What does PHI node mean? [GCC Internals Manual]

On 07/14/2010 06:11 AM, Cheng Renquan wrote:
> Recently I was reading the GCC Internals Manual, found some
> abbreviated words hard to understand, even google didn't
> give any meaningful explanations;
>
> the latest one is PHI, in chapters of "Passes, GENERIC, GIMPLE"
>
> Before this PHI word, to find what SSA means also cost me much
> time,
>
> I think, should the gccint manual add a special terminology
> index, and explains it at its first occurrence? or in the
> comments of some source file is also ok, but currently it's
> unlucky no explanations of PHI, no meaning;

It's an interesting point.  Do you think that the gccint manual should
assume some knowledge of how optimizing compilers work?

It's explained in

Advanced Compiler Design and Implementation, Steven Muchnick, ISBN
1558603204

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_single_assignment_form

We have never to my knowledge included links to Wikipedia in gcc
documentation, but this might be a good time to start.

Andrew.