Re: How to compile binaries for PIC32?

Hey there

On 11 July 2010 22:53, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Currently I am evaluating the Microchip PIC32MX795F512L-80I/PF ?and ?hit
> some problems with MPLAB under VMWare (crash all the time).
>
> OK, since MPLAB is using pic-gcc.exe, I like to know, which ?version ?of
> gcc (and parameters) plus additinal tools ?I ?have ?to ?use ?to ?compile
> binaries for PIC32.

I am not quite sure what MPLAB is, but it sounds like one of those dev
kits for micro-controllers which are usually just scripts over a
pre-compiled version of gcc.

It doesn't matter what version of gcc it is. Its the way gcc is setup.
If your compiling code for a micro-controller you need a
cross-compiler. What happens is if you invoke gcc on a source file, if
your using debian gcc it will generate code for you host system.

To generate code for that micro-controller you need to compile your
own version of GCC and set the --target in the configure and you will
also need a binutils setup so as and ld, assemble and link for that
target correctly. Though if this sounds too painful you may want to
look into a scratchbox

* http://www.scratchbox.org/

which is a thing designed for cross compilation and testing
environments and runs qemu for you to test code etc.

But if you want to find out more on compiling gcc for a target and
therefore cross compiler you can Google about on some options but i am
sure its documenting on the website some where its a matter of
pointing --with-ld = with-as = --target= etc.. are the main options i
think of the top of my head but i am sure some more people here have
more experience with that! :)

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on!

--Phil