Re: Enable GCC with CMOVxx

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 05:37:29PM -0400, Lingchuan (LC) Meng wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to enable gcc 4.3.2 on Ubuntu to compile C code with
> support of conditional moves. (and Conditional Moves as the only
> enabled optimization)
>
> I can see CMOVxx in the assembly compiled with "-O" option. However,
> no CMOVxx is found in the assembly generated with just
> "-fif-conversion" option.
>
> More surprisingly (well, at least to me), I listed all the enabled
> optimization options of "-O", and put them in one line. Then I
> compiled the same code as:

Several optimizations require a certain optimization level, and are not done
even if you specify the -f option.  If conversion is one such optimization,
where the functions gate_handle_if_conversion and
gate_handle_if_conversion_after_combine, and
gate_handle_if_conversion_after_reload in ifcvt.c all have explicit tests for
optimize being greater than 0 in addition to the -f option flag(s).  I would
suspect this is because if conversion needs some of the dataflow passes that
are not normally run for -O0.  From the ChangeLogs, it looks like the functions
were originally added in July 2005.

--
Michael Meissner, IBM
4 Technology Place Drive, MS 2203A, Westford, MA, 01886, USA