This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Need some clarification about optimization flags, what "exactly" does -O1 do?
- From: "Andrzej Giniewicz" <gginiu at gmail dot com>
- To: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:21:38 +0100
- Subject: Need some clarification about optimization flags, what "exactly" does -O1 do?
Hi - it's my first time on that list, I hope I choose good one as gcc
have really quite number of different mailing lists :)
lately I hit very strange behaviour, i.e. the app I wanted to build
works when I build it with -O0 but crash at -O1, I wanted to eliminate
flags that work as I usually do, by doing -O0 and adding all flags
that are on -O1 and aren't on -O0, I got their list using standard
recommended by manual way:
g++ -c -Q -O0 --help=optimize > 0.flags
g++ -c -Q -O1 --help=optimize > 1.flags
diff 0.flags 1.flags | grep enabled
the problem is that I was able to add all flags returned by above
commands! Is there some secret things that -O1 do instead of only
lighting those -f*** flags listened by above commands? If above
returned me:
-fcprop-registers -fdefer-pop -fguess-branch-probability
-fif-conversion -fif-conversion2 -fipa-pure-const -fipa-reference
-fmerge-constants -fomit-frame-pointer -fsplit-wide-types -ftree-ccp
-ftree-ch -ftree-copy-prop -ftree-copyrename -ftree-dce
-ftree-dominator-opts -ftree-dse -ftree-fre -ftree-salias -ftree-sink
-ftree-sra -ftree-ter -funit-at-a-time
is there any difference / reason why in my case:
-O1
fails but:
-O0 -fcprop-registers -fdefer-pop -fguess-branch-probability
-fif-conversion -fif-conversion2 -fipa-pure-const -fipa-reference
-fmerge-constants -fomit-frame-pointer -fsplit-wide-types -ftree-ccp
-ftree-ch -ftree-copy-prop -ftree-copyrename -ftree-dce
-ftree-dominator-opts -ftree-dse -ftree-fre -ftree-salias -ftree-sink
-ftree-sra -ftree-ter -funit-at-a-time
works?... I build with athlon-xp architecture but same happens when I
do i686 (with tune=generic)... it's of course Linux, and I use GCC
4.3.2
cheers,
Andrzej.
btw, the problem I have is during run of OGRE3D engine so quite huge
app, I managed to track the problem up to this place:
HardwareIndexBuffer::IndexType indexType =
mCurrentSection->get32BitIndices()? HardwareIndexBuffer::IT_32BIT :
HardwareIndexBuffer::IT_16BIT;
there IndexType is enum for only those two values that in any other
context are 0/1, and get32BitIndices is function returning bool, this
makes it kind of:
int x = boolValue ? 0:1;
the problem is that any diagnostic, stwich/case/if for that value
equal HardwareIndexBuffer::IT_32BIT or HardwareIndexBuffer::IT_16BIT
fail, simple cout on it says it's 104... always, every run - every
build with anything more than -O0... it's working on -O0 thought and
-O0 with above flags... anyway for now question is rather about what
more than flags returned by those 3 mentioned lines of shell does -O1
do because I can just go on with disabling one feature and leaving
rest in place