This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Getting started with building a GCC cross-compiler


At 09:06 AM 11/25/2008, Duane Ellis wrote:
david> [I need a C++ compiler - my chip vendor only gave me a gcc Compiler]
[snip]
david> Configure parameters
[snip]
david>  --target=pic32mx

For those who do not know - "Microchip pic32" - is a mips m4K core micro controller.

If I remember correctly, PIC32 has limited very RAM (64K) and no external memory interface.

I wish ! 32kb RAM. But it does have up to 512kb ROM.


You sure you want C++?

Absolutely. Used carefully C++ will help keep the app small and tight, and I've got a pile of existing C++ code it needs to run.


You might look "upstream" from them and figure out where they got it from (ie: From MIPS) perhaps they have subset of the Mips package?

Done...


Second, you'll need to look at your DEBUG options - they are not using GDB - and there is *some* *limited* support for ejtag in OpenOCD.

I expect (hope ?) to use GDB via JTAG. Proof of concept here is using the ICD programmer but the MPLAB stuff will never support C++...


Third, if I remember correctly gcc-pic32 has many #pragma hacks- that get picked up by the linker later on - and handles the bare metal chip initialization stuff.

Exactly; this is one of the reasons I'd like to rebuild their version rather than move to a 3rd party version (the 3rd parties don't support the Microchip extensions, leading to a different set of problems).


-Duane.

Thanks Duane !



Dave Nadler, USA East Coast voice (978) 263-0097, drn@nadler.com




Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]