Re: Mangle functions

On 30.01.2008, at 06:44, Ron Kreymborg wrote:

The interrupt class does not need a this pointer as it neither calls
other
methods in its class or accesses any private class data, so the
interrupt
method itself can correctly be non-static.

Well, "correctly" is a bit strong here. In fact, the behaviour is undefined and it is just a case of luck (read: compiler-specifica) that it works. Whereas depending on compiler-specifica is acceptable for programming on this level, it is just not necessary in your case.

By "correctly" I meant it works fine this way, not that it was the only way.
Not sure what you mean about undefined. What is undefined?

So why do you not just make it a class function (static) instead of a member function? They can be private as well, friends as well, their calling semantics is defined, and the *compiler* would make sure that you do not (accidentally) access any member elements. No disadvantages, but more safety.

Good point. My interrupt classes never have local data, so the possibility
never came up. But for more general use I agree, "static" is the safer way
to go.

Undefined means that this situation is not specified by the standard. The compiler is free to assume that this points to a valid instance and to do what it wants with it. So if you ever switch to another compiler or the gcc folks decide for whatever reason to do something fancy in methods, you are lost. This is not very likely, but nevertheless an avoidable risk. For principle reasons such risks should be avoided.

Moreover, class functions can be given "C" linkage. Andrew is right

Yes, this is almost working. In the avr-gcc case, a plethora of processors
have much the same peripherals and the compiler managers have rightly
standardized on common names for common peripherals, with the translation to
the correct vector done via processor specific macros. My last problem looks
like it should be easy but I have run out of ideas. It is in the method
declaration. For example:

static void MyOverflowInterrupt(void) asm(TIMER0_OVF_vect)
                __attribute__ ((signal, __INTR_ATTRS));

Somewhere in the device header for a particular processor is the line:

#define TIMER0_OVF_vect _VECTOR(16)

And elsewhere is defined:

#define _VECTOR(N) __vector_ ## N

So the definition becomes the almost correct:

static void MyOverflowInterrupt(void) asm(__vector_16)
                __attribute__ ((signal, __INTR_ATTRS));

How do I get it to be:

static void MyOverflowInterrupt(void) asm("__vector_16")
                __attribute__ ((signal, __INTR_ATTRS));

Oh, this one is actually easy :-)

You just need another macro-indirection that uses the "stringify" operator (#) of the pre-processor:

lohmann@mocca:~/tmp$ cat test.cpp
#define TIMER0_OVF_vect      _VECTOR(16)
#define _VECTOR(N)  __vector_ ## N

#define IRQ_VECTOR(vec) asm(#vec) __attribute__ ((signal, __INTR_ATTRS))

class Timer0 {
  static void MyOverflowInterrupt(void) IRQ_VECTOR(TIMER0_OVF_vect);
};
<<<<

After pre-processing this becomes:

lohmann@mocca:~/tmp$ g++ -E test.cpp

class Timer0 {
static void MyOverflowInterrupt(void) asm("TIMER0_OVF_vect") __attribute__ ((signal, __INTR_ATTRS));
};
<<<<

Daniel

P.S. Answers to to the list, please. Other readers might be interested and contribute as well.