This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Similar tools builds show markedly different performance?


I've been building tools targeting the Marvell Xscale processor a lot lately. A set of tools I build a few months ago seem to generate much faster code on our target hardware than tools I built more recently. There were some significant differences in the way the tools were built, but it doesn't seem like that's enough to explain the difference. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly how I built the older toolchain, so I'm hoping someone can help me determine what it was by looking at the build result.

Old tools:

$ arm-elf-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: arm-elf
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/arm3 --target=arm- elf --with-newlib --with-cpu=xscale --enable-languages=c,c++
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.2.1


$ arm-elf-ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.18

How do I tell what version of newlib is installed (I think it's 1.15)?

Built using a multistep process, where I first built binutils, then gcc, then newlib (I don't recall if I did a stage 1 GCC build first, but somehow I got it all working).


The latest tools are slightly different, and built with a combined tree build:


gcc-4.2.2
binutils-2.17
newlib-1.15

$ xscale-elf-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: xscale-elf
Configured with: ../combined/configure --target=xscale-elf --disable- nls --with-newlib --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-xscale-elf --disable-newlib- supplied-syscalls
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.2.2




I'm sorry I can't provide better information, but I'd really like to figure this out. The code doesn't call into the standard C library, but does make use of a lot of floating point code. Is it possible that this code is better with the other tools (either built more optimized, or generally different)? I don't know I'm just speculating. It is C++ code (bouncing balls on a screen, the balls are object instances).

Thanks for any help!

--
Rick


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]