Re: Installation Problem

In the event of a double post, plz. forgive my mail daemon reported a failure previously

Tim Prince wrote:
Joseph Maxwell wrote:
I am attempting to install gcc-4.2.2 on an SGI Octane running IRIX 6.5.26
I untar'd the gcc-4.2.2.tar file in the target directory /usr/local/gcc4x
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables
Could you advise?
Someone will have to look at config.log and try to figure out how to
make your previous gcc work. Why not you?
Perhaps, I lack the superior intellect required to interpret the log, I've looked at it and am none the wiser. It is very short and I'll post it here.
NOTE: Not intended for Tim Prince

Perhaps there is decent kind 'soul' out there willing to take a look and see if a solution is easily recognizable
log file =>

   This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
   running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

   configure:630: checking host system type
   configure:651: checking target system type
   configure:669: checking build system type
   configure:724: checking for a BSD compatible install
   configure:777: checking whether ln works
   configure:801: checking whether ln -s works
   configure:1866: checking for gcc
   configure:1979: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
   configure:1995: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
   gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory
   configure: failed program was:

   #line 1990 "configure"
   #include "confdefs.h"

main(){return(0);}

<= end log file

________________________________
BTW:  line 1990 =>
#include "confdefs.h"

There is a 'confdefs.h' in the source directory, but empty
There is none in the /usr/include folder but found one in another folder, don't know if it was modified, the contents were :

#define OS_TYPE "irix6.5"
#define USE_OPIE 1
#define USE_DIGEST 1
#define DEBUG 1

I added it to the source directory

But th problem persist, which seems to indicate that was not the problem

Could you advise?
BTW: I would like to use the Fortran f77 or f95 compiler when installed,
are there any special nuances to observe?

gcc-4.2 includes gfortran; should do the job for you.
Thanks, when I get the installation completed I'll probably get the gfortran operative

Thanks again