Re: reduce compilation times?

2007/11/27, Galloth <lordgalloth@gmail.com> wrote:
> > * to put more machines with more cores per chip (quadcore?),
> >    bigger caches (8 MiB L2?) and higher frequencies
> Does it means that gcc can use several cores for one compilation (If
> yes, how to activate this, please) or this is the same idea as using
> make -j (several compilations at once)

It's the same problem of "Nine Woman Can't Have a Baby in One Month"

"Nine Cores Can't Reduce a Compilation of 9 Seconds to One Second"

I believe that it's possible to reduce it but it's very hardful.

     [ using 9 hardthreads
      (in hw, with complex combination of traps, paging and cores)
       instead of 9 softthreads in one process or of 9 processes ]

    J.C.Pizarro