LD_LIBRARY_PATH relation to gmp error

I've been trying to build gcc 4.2.2 using a script which starts with a blank environment and explicitly sets each needed variable.  I've installed gmp and mpfr and am specifying those installations with --with-gmp and --with-mpfr.  On two different systems, I've found that unless LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains the library directory of the previous gcc, I get the following error:

	checking whether the GNU Fortran compiler is working... no
	configure: error: GNU Fortran is not working; the most common reason
	for that   is that you might have linked it to shared GMP and/or MPFR
	libraries, and not   set LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly. If you suspect...

The following settings (two different systems) result in a successful build

	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.3
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/3.4.3

Why would the new gfortran need this LD_LIBRARY_PATH to function?