This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: -Dinhibit_libc
>> I am trying to configure and build a cross-compiler for a
powerpc-750->>elf.
>> I use the following parameters to configure it;
>>
>> ../gcc-4.1.0/configure --target=powerpc-750-elf --prefix=C:/gnu/usr
>> --exec-prefix=C:/gnu/usr/powerpc --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld
>> --enable-languages=c,c++ --with-newlib -v 2>&1 | tee config.out
>>
>> The compiler works fine, however libc.a never gets generated. I noticed
>>the
>> -Dinhibit_libc flag during the build. I am wondering how it got there,
>>and
>> what parameters I need to use to generate libc.a? I thought that all I
>> needed was --with-newlib.
>gcc does not include a C library. You can build it with newlib, but
>you also need to download newlib and put it in your source tree.
>Ian
I'm still a bit confused. When I download gcc, I get a tarball that
extracts everything to ./gcc-4.x.x/, and likewise with newlib and binutils.
Under that directory there is another directory called gcc that contains all
the source files. I have read somewhere that my directories should look
something like this.
src/
+-- gcc
+-- newlib
+-- binutils
build/
+-- gcc
+-- newlib
+-- binutils
Then you can do this
cd build
../src/configure
make
That's all well and good but exactly how do I set this up with what I am
given?
Should it look like this?
gcc-4.x.x/
+-- all extracted file and folders from gcc tarball
+-- newlib.x.x.x/
+-- all extracted files and folders from newlib tarball
+-- binutils.x.x.x/
+-- all extracted files and folders from binutils tarball
or
src/
+-- gcc
+-- all extracted file and folders from gcc tarball
+-- newlib
+-- all extracted files and folders from newlib tarball
+-- binutils
+-- all extracted files and folders from binutils tarball
This one looks the most like the description above however it makes the
least sense to me, because I would have to say ../src/gcc/configure, and I
thought that configure worked recursively, so how can they all be at the
same level?
or
src/
+-- all extracted file and folders from gcc tarball
+-- all extracted files and folders from newlib tarball
+-- all extracted files and folders from binutils tarball
This looks like it might work but begs the question, which configure (or
other conflicting files) from which tarball do I use? gcc?
Thanks,
Kevin