Re: Question on warnings for compiling gcc from svn source

NightStrike wrote:
On 6/26/07, David Daney <ddaney@avtrex.com> wrote:
NightStrike wrote:
> I am building a cross compiler, and I'm not good at it, so it requires
> many tries with different options.  The outcome is that I spend a lot
> of time looking at output from the various compiles I keep doing.  I
> am curious.. there are a number of warnings for things that seem
> trivial to fix... Does anyone go and fix these things?  For instance,
> the file libiberty/argv.c has a variable "int ret" defined at line 313
> that is never used, and this triggers a warning.  Sure enough, the
> variable is never used (that I can see from the source).  Are things
> like that monitored and cleaned up?
Being open source software, GCC relies on volunteers.  You can do a
couple of things:

1) Submit a patch to correct the problem following the procedures on the
gcc.gnu.org web site.
2) File a bug report in the GCC bugzilla at the same site.

Failing either of those options, someone that sees your message might
fix it.

In any event thanks for reporting it.

David Daney.

Ah, and here I thought that everyone knew about those things. If it's policy to get things like that cleaned up, then I'd love to help. I'll see if I can figure out how to create and submit a patch (I'm assuming I just make the change and run the diff tool with certain options..) Hopefully someone will be willing to help me through it :)

Please read this document:

http://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html

If you follow the suggestions there, things should go fairly smoothly. For a one line patch, you probably don't need a copyright assignment.

David Daney