RE: Help building gcc with x86-64 support

:
> That is because for OS development I don't need a 64-bit C runtime
> library built in any case.

To build a complete GCC toolchain you do need a C library; you need all of:

  - GCC
  - binutils (assembler and linker)
  - a C library, e.g. newlib or glibc

built for your target platform. The C library is at least required to help build GCC's own runtime libraries such as libgcc. At that point you could then either take the partial GCC build you have and use that to build a C library and then rebuild GCC, or you might already have enough of GCC built for what you need.

If you want to build a complete cross-compiler toolchain for a Linux target a good place to start is Crosstool,

    http://kegel.com/crosstool/

although it might not support very recent GCC versions.

Good luck!
Rup.