This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Switch to obtain "narrowing" warnings
On 05 Jun 2007 09:59:36 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
"j t" <mark473@gmail.com> writes:
> Excuse my newbieness, but is there a gcc switch that enables warnings
> from implicit narrowing (int -> short, for example), or is this best
> obtained from other software such as lint/splint?
-Wconversion does this, in newer versions of gcc.
Ian
Interesting. It could well be my mistake, but shouldn't "gcc
-Wconversion test.c" throw at least some unhappiness with:
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void){
int i=99999;
short s;
s=i;
printf("s is %d\n", s);
return 0;
}
I get no output (success) from "gcc -Wconversion test.c", while
"splint test.c" gives:
test.c:5:3: Assignment of int to short int: s = i
To ignore type qualifiers in type comparisons use +ignorequals.
(I'd prefer to not use splint, as I don't think it supports c99 yet).