Pragmas in GCC

Hi all,
I would like to investigate the use of pragmas in GCC. What are
pragmas, how are
they used, what are their limitations, and how can they be used to
carry information from
the source code to various optimizing passes. Specifically, I would
like to investigate how pragmas can be used to allocate variables to
specific memory banks.

Can anybody give me a summary, or a link to a document where I can
find such details?

Thanks!