How to begin

I'm sure somebody has asked this before, but I can't be bothered to read all
the messages on the forum.
I'd like to start progrmming in C++. Since I don't have a compiler I need to
donload one and this seems to be a good ond to try. What I dont know is
which files I need to download to get GCC to work on my mac. I have Mac OS
10.4 with a PPC processor. What do I do?