Re: how to use different linker

satyaakam goswami kirjoitti:

> On 11/7/06, Kai Ruottu <karuottu@mbnet.fi> wrote:
>> But there are also options/switches like '-B' to point to some "use this time" linker....

> thanks for the reply i could not understand the last line can you please eloborate , yes
> i do understand ld will search the path , my question is how to override that and point
> to a different linker at link time.

The '-B <my_own_directory>' should put the '<my_own_directory>' being searched
before the built-in path! So putting a 'ld' there should cause it being found first. The
"nice GCC manual" says :

"For each subprogram to be run, the compiler driver first tries the ‘-B’ prefix, if
any. If that name is not found, or if ‘-B’ was not specified, the driver tries two
standard prefixes, which are ‘/usr/lib/gcc/’ and ‘/usr/local/lib/gcc/’."

and so on about the '-B'.... So why not just read this from the GCC manual? If it
didn't come with your system, it is anyway available on the net in many places,
the:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/

maybe being the first where people start to search for these pre-made manuals in
PDF, PS, HTML, Info etc. formats....

That there really are 'nice' manuals for free software like GCC and Linux, can be a
big surprise for many, for instance an old guy in his 70's was really happy when
getting manuals for his Linux, the misunderstanding being that there are none, only
the free sources from which to look :-( At least Red Hat, SuSE and Mandrake have no
manuals on their install CD's but this doesn't mean there aren't those on their web sites.

Neither the default GCC build produces any PDF, HTML etc. manuals, only the 'info'
ones and maybe writing 'info gcc' and then trying to look the "GCC User's Manual with
'info' is too hard nowadays... Or if not, the result may be totally misleading: My SuSE 10.1
opened the "Installing GCC" manual with this command, not the expected "Using GCC"!

Discussion like:

<A simple question which easily could get its answer from the manual>
Re: <RTFM>
Re: <Where in the hell is the manual?>
Re: < Please see some URL>

could be useful here sometimes.... Too many still think that there aren't any nice manuals :-(