Re: libgcc_s : What links to it and why?

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Jeff Blaine <jblaine@mitre.org> writes:

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply.

I didn't get an answer to my previous long post about the
problem I am having, so I figured I would try asking
more direct questions:

What, in GCC, makes the determination to link in -lgcc?
-lgcc is always linked in.
I assume you are asking: what decides whether to link it statically
or
dynamically?  That is controlled by the -static-libgcc and
-shared-libgcc options, q.v.
I forgot to mention this below -- I also tried LDFLAGS="-static-libgcc"
and watched it be referenced/used during my build.  It did nothing.
The resulting build had libgcc_s.so linked.

I have no explanation for this behaviour. If you run the link command using the -v option, does it pass -lgcc_s to the linker? Is there any chance that you somewhere have a file named libgcc.so? (You should normally have libgcc.a and libgcc_s.so).

Sorry, I hit send too soon.

Yes, there is a /usr/rcf/lib/libgcc_s.so that MUST remain where it is.
I simply don't want to link to it with my *other* (production) GCC.

My production GCC is built with --disable-shared --prefix=/somewhere.
It doesn't even have its own libgcc_s.so.

No matter what I do (as you have seen), it is finding and linking to
/usr/rcf/lib/libgcc_s.so :(

-Bstatic buys me nothing.

-static-libgcc buys me nothing.

Tweaking the 'libgcc' section in 'specs' in 2 different ways
buys me nothing.