libgcc_s : What links to it and why?

I didn't get an answer to my previous long post about the
problem I am having, so I figured I would try asking
more direct questions:

What, in GCC, makes the determination to link in -lgcc?

What is the logic of that determination/decision?  Some
app builds end up with libgcc linked in, most don't.

Why am I unable to get around shared linking of -lgcc?
I have tried both of the following and neither works
if I have a libgcc_s.so

    a) In 'specs', specify "-Bstatic -lgcc -Bdynamic" for
       the 'libgcc:' directive.

    b) In 'specs', specify "/my/static/libgcc.a" for the
       'libgcc:' directive.

I am at my wit's end fighting this :(  Any advice would
be great.