Re: Compile problem

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 12:39 -0500, CodeHeads wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 17:49 +0100, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > First: DO you have the bglibs installed ?
> >
> > looking at the package contents, there is only a libbgsysdeps.a (maybe
> > check your system for all libbg files, see if there is a
> > libbg-sysdeps.so/.a ... if there is something like libbgsysdeps.so/.a
> > then you might need to tweak the build script, by changing:
> >
> > echo exec `head -n 1 conf-ld` -L. "-L'$${bglibs}'" '-o "$$main"
> > "$$main.o" $${1+"$$@"}' -lbg-sysdeps; \

> > echo exec `head -n 1 conf-ld` -L. "-L'$${bglibs}'" '-o "$$main"
> > "$$main.o" $${1+"$$@"}' -lbgsysdeps; \
> >
> > But check first, how the bg sysdeps lib is called on your sys and if it
> > is there ...
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > -Sven
> >

> > On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 10:53 -0500, CodeHeads wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I have a problem compiling a program. It is for archiving ezmlm lists.
> > >
> > > This is the error:
> > > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lbg-sysdeps
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > >
> > > Here a piece of the makefile where it is generating the error:
> > > globals.pyc: globals.py
> > > 	python -c '__import__("globals")'
> > >
> > > load: conf-ld conf-bglibs
> > > 	( bglibs=`head -n 1 conf-bglibs`; \
> > > 	  echo '#!/bin/sh';\
> > > 	  echo 'main="$$1"; shift';\
> > > 	  echo exec `head -n 1 conf-ld` -L. "-L'$${bglibs}'" '-o "$$main"
> > > "$$main.o" $${1+"$$@"}' -lbg-sysdeps; \
> > > 	) >load
> > > 	chmod 755 load
> > >
> > > main.pyc: main.py
> > > 	python -c '__import__("main")'
> > >
> > > I searched google, rpm.bone and could not come up with anything. I am
> > > using fedora 4 with gcc 4.0.2-8 and python 2.4.1-2
> > >
> > > How can I fix this?
> > >

> The libs are installed, now I am getting this (traceback):
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
>   File "main.py", line 15, in ?
>     import context
>   File "context.py", line 22, in ?
>     global_context = {
> ImportError: No module named version
>
> Sorry I am learning this stuff. :(

Okay, this is a python specific error, without having the source it'S
kinda tough to see, what's goign on - honestyl, haven'T done any python
coding in 2 or 3 years ....

Okay, it looks like the script is trying to import a pthon module named
version (version.py/.pyc) which doesn't seem to be present, or maybe is
not in the search path, or something ....

btw: this is not gcc specific anymore, but I will try to do my best, so
maybe from here on no further traffic on the list (at least not, as long
as it is python related) ...

first step try figuring out where exactly that import statement is and
what it looks like ...

second step go hunt for a file version.py (or .pyc) if no such file is
present, should it come with the build system of the software you are
trying to use (seems the build system is somewhat python based) ...

is it maybe a part of the python distribution

or is it part of another package (maybe some lib etc. that got python
bindings - though I rather doubt it, since the filename is so
generic) ...

Well a locate version.py shows, that I got such a file, using the
package tools from my linux distribution (I am not on fedora) I get
the information it's part of the python distribution itself ...

Maybe your installed version is too old, which version of python are you
using? maybe it's incomplete, maybe just some path screwed up ....

Humm, I get the same error btw, when I try to import the file, let's
take a short glance on the file ...

---- snip ----

#
# distutils/version.py
#
# Implements multiple version numbering conventions for the
# Python Module Distribution Utilities.
#
# $Id: version.py,v 1.7 2002/11/14 02:25:42 akuchling Exp $
#

humm, okay, now we know what it is used for ...

Maybe see if you can find documentation on python module distribution
utilities and their proper use, then try to fix the broken script ...