arm instructions used by gcc

Greetings!

I am a new member to gcc-help and looking forward to a
good learning experience.

The big picture: I am trying to write an ARM
instruction set simulator using Qt. I am using lex and
yacc for lexical and syntax analysis. This will
generate an intermediate output that will be parsed by
Qt.

I would like to know the ARM assembly instructions
that are used in gcc for generating ARM code.

I did look at the gcc internals and hardware
description from here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/Machine-Desc.html#Machine-Desc

As a newbie, I am not able to interpret the arm.md
file in gcc/config/arm. Is there any other
documentation with numerous examples to illustrate the
inner working of gcc and its code generation process?

Any links/pointers in this regard is appreciated.

Thanks,

K Shakthi