Question about C++ functinos and __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx

I'm developing an embedded C++ library (found at cxx.uclibx.org).  So far,
things are going well.  However, I've noticed that functions (even empty
constructors) compiled and linked against my library are several bytes
larger.

In all that follows, I'm referring to gcc 3.3.5 on Linux 2.6.10 Gentoo on AMD
Athlon XP.

I've discovered that all functions compiled and linked against my library
start off with a call to __i686.get_pc_thunk.bx

Now, the call and support instructions are only 14 bytes, but that adds up
quickly.  Where is this call comming from and how might I work around it.
Also, what does it do.   I've searched through the manual and online and have
foind very little information to go on.

Thank you for your help.

-	Garrett Kajmowicz