How "tagged initialization format" works?

Hi,

I'm looking into Linux kernel source and have found some declarations
like that:

static struct file_operations apm_bios_fops = {
.owner = THIS_MODULE,
.read = do_read,
.poll = do_poll,
.ioctl = do_ioctl,
.open = do_open,
.release = do_release,
};

After refering to Linux Device Driver 2nd Edtion, I got a term --
"tagged initialization format". The only thing I could figure out from
this book is that, this is an extension of GCC and it can enhance the
portability of structure definitions. However when I tended to GCC
infopage, I could hardly find a word about that?

Anybody can help to explain that, or direct me to the appropriate documents?

Thanks a lot.