Re: aix gcc compile on aix 5L but couldn't run on aix 4.3

AIX5.2 is significantly different from 4.3 and earlier 4.x version of AIX. Specifically the memory allocation techniques are different which might be why you are getting these messages. Are you compiling this app with a -m64 option? If so, then you will not be able to run this on a 32bit box. Are you using any of the -march or -mcpu options to gcc. There are quite a few variations of the PowerPC architecture and I have found that if I compile with the -march flag on one machine it does not tend to work well (read: at all) on a different machine of another arch. Hope this helps.

mla wrote:
hello all! thanks for all the help. I got another
problem. :P I use gcc to compile a program running on
aix 5.2. but when I copied it into aix 4.3. it won't
run I get the error

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program ./test1 because
of the following errors:
        0509-023 Symbol ___memset in test1 is not
defined.
        0509-023 Symbol ___memmove in test1 is not
defined.
        0509-023 Symbol __malloc_user_defined_name in
test1 is not defined.
        0509-026 System error: Cannot run a file that
does not have a valid format.

is there a flag that I missed that I could use when I
compile on aix 5 that will allow me to run the program
on a lower version of the os?

neeeed help!thanks!