Re: Finding compiler

Joseph Felps <joe_felps@bellsouth.net> writes:

> This is the error I get:
>
> You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler. Here's
> what I did.  I compiled and installed gcc-3.3 to /usr/local/gcc-3.3/

Good. Always install gcc in its own directory.

> I then uninstalled the compiler that comes with debian, which is gcc
> 2.95.

Bad. If you wish to link with C++ libs installed by your
    distribution's package manager, you will need to use this compiler
    - but you removed it. I suggest you re-install the .debs for gcc
    2.95, or upgrade to a newer release that is based on newer gcc.

> Now i tried to get this set up right so CC would look to
> gcc-3.3 with update-alternatives, but I have been unable to figure it
> out.  I understand the error but I don't know how to fix it.
[snip]