This is the mail archive of the gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Enabling sse2 support on pentium4 makes my fortran-program slower.


Hello!

I have a fortran 77 -code which calculates three-body problem of celestial mechanics so it has lot's of floating point arithemtics in it. I'm using Mingw at Windows and g77 from the newest version 3.2.My computer is 1.8Ghz Pentium4.In your homepage you say that enabling sse2 support with commands -msse2 (or march=pentium4) and -mfpmath=sse should increase speed of floating point arithmetics considerably. Examining my computer with Sisoft Sandra's arithmetic benchmark reveals that using sse2 should increase floating point arithmetics over 200%. To the point. When I enable options mentioned earlier, my program doesn't run any faster.In fact it runs even a little slower. Do I make some mistake. Or is it because all SIMD features are not yet implemented on GCC. Pentium 4 doesn't really shine on floating point arithmetics without sse2(in fact by Sisoft Sandra it's slower than my older computer Duron 800!) so enabling full sse2 is crucial for using this program which can calculate orbits for weeks. Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Mikko Ranta

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]