This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries
- From: Claudio Bley <bley at cs dot uni-magdeburg dot de>
- To: kabir dot patel at uk dot andersen dot com
- Cc: me at rupey dot net, gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:21:24 +0100
- Subject: RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries
- References: <80256B13.004F6CA5.00@lonhm0003.arthurandersen.com>
>>>>> "kabir" == kabir patel <kabir.patel@uk.andersen.com> writes:
kabir> I downloaded "gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz" instead, and
kabir> tried running gzip -d on it. I go the following mesage:
kabir> "gzip: gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid compressed
kabir> data--format violated"
kabir> Is this a bad copy of gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local.gz? I got
kabir> it from www.sunfreeware.com
Get the MD5 checksums from the same location and check your file. Did
you read the download/installation instructions at
www.sunfreeware.com? If not don't hesitate to read it NOW.
kabir> Thanks
kabir> Kabir
Claudio
kabir> To: Kabir Patel cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org Date: 29/11/2001
kabir> 12:40 From: me@rupey.net Subject: RE: GCC 3.0.2 binaries
kabir> Kabir Patel wrote:
>> I downloaded gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz again, provided
>> enough space, and ran gzip -d on it. The following error
>> message cam back "gzip: gcc-3.0.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz: invalid
>> compressed data--crc error"
>>
>> Could somebody tell me what this means? and how to rectify it?
kabir> gzip stores a checksum for the compressed data ('crc' is
kabir> 'cyclic redundancy check') and the value it has is
kabir> wrong. Again, this means you have a bad copy of the
kabir> compressed package.
kabir> May I check that you downloaded the file in binary mode and
kabir> not ASCII mode? If you're using command-line FTP then it
kabir> probably defaulted to binary mode but to be sure you might
kabir> want to type 'binary' before you 'get'.
kabir> I know that's a long shot, but I at least don't have any
kabir> other ideas.
kabir> Rup.