This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: Missing basic wide char/wide string handling functions
- From: "Kirwan, Brian" <bkirwan at accuris dot ie>
- To: 'Rupert Wood' <me at rupey dot net>, "Kirwan, Brian" <bkirwan at accuris dot ie>
- Cc: gcc-help at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:35:52 -0000
- Subject: RE: Missing basic wide char/wide string handling functions
Hi Rupert,
Thanks for your quick respose.
You're right - I'm on Solaris. Its 2.6 whose wchar.h doesnt have wprintf.
I've checked a 2.8 machine and you're right - its wchar.h does have it.
So, Solaris 2.8's C library supports it.
But, as for the C++ side (which I would prefer), shouldnt GCC's iostream
support wcout (which it doesnt seem to do)?
Thanks very much,
Brian.
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rupert Wood [mailto:me@rupey.net]
> Sent: 29 November 2001 10:36
> To: 'Kirwan, Brian'
> Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
> Subject: RE: Missing basic wide char/wide string handling functions
>
>
> Brian Kirwan wrote:
>
> > I'm building an application that needs to handle unicode strings and
> > therefore need wide char/string handling functions. In gcc, I CAN
> > find the corresponding CONVERSION functions (e.g., mbstowcs,
> > wcstombs, etc.) but I CANNOT find the BASIC wide string handling
> > functions, i.e., wcout, wstrcat, etc. (nor wprintf, etc in the C
> > library).
>
> GCC makes a few POSIX-like fixes to the system header files,
> but the set
> of functions you have really depends on the C library you're using and
> not on the compiler.
>
> That said, it sounds like you're using a Sun box. Certainly Solaris
> 2.8's system C library has wprintf in wchar.h (try 'man wprintf') but
> I'm not sure how many Solaris versions back that goes.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Rup.
>