This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Building gcc as a cross compiler
Hi Christophe,
>In fact I'm trying to build a compiler that I will use to build a new
>operating system, so it should not generate Linux code (that's why I choose
>the coff format I believe it is a generic format). As a standard library,
>I'd like to build glibc (or newlib if it is better suited ?), also for a ARM
>platform.
newlib is intended for embedded platforms. It's smaller and purpose-built
for embedded applications (which is to say, it's best for a constrained
system).
You might want to try configuring for arm-elf. I have no problems building
gcc for arm-elf, and unless you specifically need to use coff for some
reason, elf is just as good a choice.
(I am not developing for Linux either. See my earlier help message
"building current cvs for arm..." for my configuration commandline. This
commandline works fine under Linux, I am just having problems inside cygwin...)
=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/
"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."