This is the mail archive of the
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Build fails on Cygwin host
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your help. I used touch and ran make again. After several hours
churning I ended up with a bunch of promising looking .exe's. However when I
try to compile a simple program from within bash the hard drive thrashes for
ages and nothing else seems to happen. After giving it the three finger
salute and looking at task manager there appear to be 100+ copies of cpp
running! It looks like cpp is calling itself.
After rebooting the computer I tried from a Dos box with the path set to
\cygwin\h8300hms\bin;\cygwin\bin. When I run h83000hms-gcc main.c I get the
following message:
cpp: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file or directory
I know there is a copy of cpp.exe in both directories. My head hurts - help!
Les
BTW several times during the build sed and SH locked up and I had to shut
down the bash shell and rerun make. Is this a known problem? I am running
Win98 iss.2
>
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: Les Newell [mailto:les@lnewell.screaming.net]
> >Sent: 22 December 2000 11:17
>
> >Hi,
> >I am trying to build GCC 2.95.2 for a h8300hms target on a Cygwin host.
> >However, it always fails in the same place. Below is a screenshot taken
> >after the build failed. Can anyone help?
>
> >/home/gw/gcc-h8/texinfo/makeinfo/makeinfo -I../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc -o
> >cpp.info .
> >./../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/cpp.texi
> >../../gcc-2.95.2/gcc/cpp.texi: error 0
> >make[1]: *** [cpp.info] Error 2
> >make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gw/gcc-h8/gcc'
> >make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
>
>
> Hi Les,
>
> There's a compatibility problem between makeinfo under *nix and cygwin.
> There are two solutions: the official one is to rename the 'texinfo'
> subdirectory in the gcc source to something like 'old.texinfo' or just
> delete it altogether, add the flag "--with-included-gettext" to your
> configure command line, and retry the build.
>
> OTOH if you already have .info files for gcc or you just don't care,
> try 'touch gcc.info cpp.info' when the build files and then repeat your
> make command. It should then carry on from where it left off without
trying
> to build the .info files.
>
> hth,
> DaveK