This is the mail archive of the
gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
[Bug rtl-optimization/59535] [4.9 regression] -Os code size regressions for Thumb1/Thumb2 with LRA
- From: "ramana.radhakrishnan at arm dot com" <gcc-bugzilla at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- To: gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 11:44:34 +0000
- Subject: [Bug rtl-optimization/59535] [4.9 regression] -Os code size regressions for Thumb1/Thumb2 with LRA
- Auto-submitted: auto-generated
- References: <bug-59535-4 at http dot gcc dot gnu dot org/bugzilla/>
https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59535
--- Comment #19 from ramana.radhakrishnan at arm dot com <ramana.radhakrishnan at arm dot com> ---
On 06/12/14 08:46, fredrik.hederstierna@securitas-direct.com wrote:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=59535
>
> Fredrik Hederstierna <fredrik.hederstierna@securitas-direct.com> changed:
>
> What |Removed |Added
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> CC| |fredrik.hederstierna@securi
> | |tas-direct.com
>
> --- Comment #18 from Fredrik Hederstierna <fredrik.hederstierna@securitas-direct.com> ---
> I compared GCC 4.8.3 and GCC 4.9.0 for arm-none-eabi, and I still see a code
> size increase for thumb1 (and thumb2) for both my arm966e and my cortex-m4
> targets.
>
> GCC 4.8.3
> RAM used 93812
> Flash used 515968
>
> GCC 4.9.0
> RAM used 93812 (same)
> Flash used 522608 (+1.3%)
>
> Then I tried to disable LRA and results got better:
>
> GCC 4.9.0 : added flag "-mno-lra"
> RAM used 93812 (same)
> Flash used 519624 (+0.7%)
>
> Flags used are otherwise identical for both tests:
>
> -Os -g3 -ggdb3 -gdwarf-4
> -fvar-tracking-assignments -fverbose-asm -fno-common -ffunction-sections
> -fdata-sections -fno-exceptions -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables
> -fno-unwind-tables
> -mthumb -mcpu=arm966e-s -msoft-float -mno-unaligned-access
>
> Generally GCC 4.9.0 seems to produce larger code, I tried to experiement with
> LTO (-flto -flto-fat-objects), but then code size increased even more for both
> GCC 4.8.3 and GCC 4.9.0, I was expecting a code decrease though.
>
> Sorry I cannot share exact sources used for compilation here, I can share
> toolchain build script though on request, or try to setup a small test case.
>
> I first just wanted to confirm that this bug really is fixed and resolved, so
> its not a new bug or another known issue.
It might be another issue or it may well be an issue with LRA not many
could tell for certain unless we could get a small testcase to look at.
What we'd like is a small testcase that shows the problem compared with
gcc 4.8.3 to progress this further.
Please file a new bug report following the instructions in
https://gcc.gnu.org/bugs/#report
in this particular case we'd be interested in all command line options
that were used.
regards
Ramana
>
> BR /Fredrik
>