This is the mail archive of the
gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
[Bug libfortran/50105] Possibly: [4.3/4.4/4.5/4.6/4.7 Regression] I/O with g6.5 - wrong number of "**" shown
- From: "burnus at gcc dot gnu.org" <gcc-bugzilla at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- To: gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 06:22:20 +0000
- Subject: [Bug libfortran/50105] Possibly: [4.3/4.4/4.5/4.6/4.7 Regression] I/O with g6.5 - wrong number of "**" shown
- Auto-submitted: auto-generated
- References: <bug-50105-4@http.gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/>
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=50105
--- Comment #1 from Tobias Burnus <burnus at gcc dot gnu.org> 2011-08-17 06:22:20 UTC ---
Actually, I think that this bug is invalid - but wait for the answers at the J3
mailing list. The reason I think that I think that 6 asterisks should be
produced are stated below. However, it would not be the first time that I
missed something.
We have (refs = F2008):
R1007 data-edit-desc is ...
or G w [ . d [ E e ] ]
such that for G6.5, one has "w = 6".
And thus, I expect 6 "*" as: if the "characters produced exceeds the field
width, the processor shall fill the entire field of width w with asterisks"
Full quote:
10.7.2 Numeric editing, 10.7.2.1 General rules states:
"(5) On output, if an exponent exceeds its specified or implied width using the
E, EN, ES, D, or G edit descriptor, or the number of characters produced
exceeds the field width, the processor shall fill the entire field of width w
with asterisks. However, the processor shall not produce asterisks if the field
width is not exceeded when optional characters are omitted."