This is the mail archive of the
gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
[Bug fortran/33252] GCC-4.3.0 Bootstrap testsuite error increase
- From: "kargl at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-bugzilla at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- To: gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 31 Aug 2007 05:29:05 -0000
- Subject: [Bug fortran/33252] GCC-4.3.0 Bootstrap testsuite error increase
- References: <bug-33252-14842@http.gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/>
- Reply-to: gcc-bugzilla at gcc dot gnu dot org
------- Comment #11 from kargl at gcc dot gnu dot org 2007-08-31 05:29 -------
(In reply to comment #10)
> Now to the more confusing issue of backporting. I managed to find the
> following:
>
(Stuff from Mark removed)
You're quoting email out of context.
>
> Mr Kargl explains what happened from an maintainer's and release manager's
> view but does not provide a paliative to the user. G77 relative to g90 is
> relatively much more out of date than C1989 to C1994.
I can't parse the above.
> Anyhow, if memory serves, there was significant back-porting from 4.3
> to 4.2.x to to solve some memory usage problems.
Yes, there was backporting to 4.2.0. This backporting was reduced
within the 4.2.1 time frame. It almost completely ceased several
months ago. The 4.2 branch and trunk had diverged too much.
Dude, just give it a rest. Trunk gets broken sometimes. I broke it
for some targets when I integrated the ISO C binding feature in a much
worse way. One could not even bootstrap GCC. I spent a very nerve
wracking 3 days trying to fix it.
PS: It's the attitude (that I preceive) expressed by you in this PR
(and other recent users) that has driven my decision to stop working
on gfortran.
--
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=33252