This is the mail archive of the
gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
[Bug libstdc++/15910] can't compile self defined void distance(std::vector<T>, std::vector<T>)
- From: "adah at netstd dot com" <gcc-bugzilla at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- To: gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 12 Aug 2005 02:10:20 -0000
- Subject: [Bug libstdc++/15910] can't compile self defined void distance(std::vector<T>, std::vector<T>)
- References: <20040610143911.15910.king.benjamin@mh-hannover.de>
- Reply-to: gcc-bugzilla at gcc dot gnu dot org
------- Additional Comments From adah at netstd dot com 2005-08-12 02:10 -------
(In reply to comment #79)
> Subject: Re: can't compile self defined void distance(std::vector<T>,
std::vector<T>)
> "adah at netstd dot com" <gcc-bugzilla@gcc.gnu.org> writes:
>
> | > Furthermore, and more importantly, GCC bugzilla is the not the place
> | > to record UNEXPECTED or PROBLEM with the C++ standard.
> |
> | Is it a guideline of GCC Bugzilla that a PRoblem owing to the C++ Standard
is
> | never considered a PRoblem at all?
>
> Ahem. Can you read?
Show an official page.
> | If it is, please show me where I can read it.
> I'm very willing to do so if you provide evidence that you can read.
The only thing I can say is that you are an absolutely incurably rude person.
> | should be output. If this function is in some namespace and the original
> | function call is not qualified, then an additional warning on argument-
> | dependent lookup should be emitted.
> |
> | Simple rules. I do not think it is magic.
> Surely, your rules do not require magic. They just appear nonsensical to
> me. As argument dependent name lookup has become an essential part of
> C++ libraries, begining the standard one.
I do not invalidate ADL. Just that ADL is causing problems, and some
diagnostic messages (only when problems occur) can help people encountering
these problems identify their problems.
Not only I am saying that ADL is causing unwanted problems. I do not think
Herb Sutter's opinion that the OP's program *should* compile is less authentic
than yours.
> | No. If I put it simply, then this behaviour violates the rationale of
> | namespaces.
> Which rationale?
Name separation. People can use names freely (in their own namespace or the
global namespace) without worrying that the name is used in another namespace.
> | This is not the behaviour I am currently requesting. I just wanted to told
> | Wolfgang there is a third way to `fix' the problem which I prefer better
than
> | his suggestions.
> Essentially, you're here just to argue.
I am afraid that it is YOU that are here to argue, and to *flame*.
> -- Gaby
Yongwei
--
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=15910