This is the mail archive of the
gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
[Bug bootstrap/19364] [4.0 Regression] embedded sparc does not bootstrap
- From: "ebotcazou at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc-bugzilla at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- To: gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: 20 Jan 2005 15:32:03 -0000
- Subject: [Bug bootstrap/19364] [4.0 Regression] embedded sparc does not bootstrap
- References: <20050110151452.19364.joel@gcc.gnu.org>
- Reply-to: gcc-bugzilla at gcc dot gnu dot org
------- Additional Comments From ebotcazou at gcc dot gnu dot org 2005-01-20 15:31 -------
> FWIW: IMO, all targets implicitly relying on the sparc/sparc.h's
> LINK_GCC_C_SEQUENCE_SPEC are broken.
I don't think so. I can tell you for sure that Solaris is not broken.
> Grep'ing the sources reveals all major sparc-targets to override this
> LINK_GCC_C_SEQUENCE_SPEC, so I don't expect removing it there to do much harm.
Note the Linux variant: "%{static:--start-group} %G %L %{static:--end-group}"
which means that the group "%G %L" is repeatedly searched. Of course the Sun
linker (at least the ancient versions) is not that smart so we need to use the
double inclusion by default.
> Probably, "%G %L %G %L" also is SunOS/Solaris specific and actually does not
> belong into sparc.h. Also, I fail to understand how "LINK_GCC_C_SEQUENCE_SPEC"
> can be target-cpu specific. It is target-os specific.
It is actually ABI-specific. I think the V7 ABI more or less mandates it.
> I don't really like this. IMO, the sparc backend suffers from its
> SunOS/Solaris history and should be cleaned up.
The default values of settings are indeed chosen for Solaris and I don't expect
to change that in the near future.
--
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=19364