This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: preprocessor/3786: cpp ignores space after backslash
- To: <loewis at informatik dot hu-berlin dot de>
- Subject: Re: preprocessor/3786: cpp ignores space after backslash
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28 at cam dot ac dot uk>
- Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:33:55 +0100 (BST)
- cc: <gcc-gnats at gcc dot gnu dot org>, <gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org>
On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
> The preprocessor will ignore spaces between a backslash and a newline
> for continuation lines. This is in violation of C99, 188.8.131.52,
> # Each instance of a backslash character (\) immediately followed
> # by a new-line character is deleted
> As a result, a // comment ending in a backslash eats the next line.
This is part of the implementation-defined translation phase 1 mapping:
invisible white space at the end of lines is ignored. There *is* a bug -
that this feature ought to be mentioned under "Implementation-defined
behavior" in the manual.
Joseph S. Myers