This is the mail archive of the gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

Re: bootstrap/3236


On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 10:01:47AM -0700, Jeff Deifik wrote:
> 
> 
> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&pr=3236&database=gcc
> 
> I have no idea what you folks mean by your comment:
> You have only configured the gcc subdirectory.  You must configure and
> build the top-level directory, so that libiberty is configured and
> built.

>From your original PR,

/export/home/jdeifik/gnu/objdir[jdeifik@albacore objdir]$ 
	../gcc-3.0/gcc/configure --prefix=/export/home/jdeifik

That configures only the gcc subdirectory of the source tree, not the
entire source tree.

Change that command to '../gcc-3.0/configure --prefix=/export/home/jdeifik'
and your build should work correctly.

> I say again, ***there is something wrong with the documented
> procedure***.  I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I have no
> idea what 'configure and build the top-level direcroty' means.

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html says:

# We use *srcdir* to refer to the toplevel source directory for GCC; we
# use *objdir* to refer to the toplevel build/object directory.
#
# If you obtained the sources via CVS, *srcdir* must refer to the top
# gcc directory, the one where the MAINTAINERS can be found, and not
# its gcc subdirectory, otherwise the build will fail.

I agree this is confusing.  It's also inaccurate; the second paragraph
is true whether or not you are using CVS.

Minimal correction: delete the phrase "If you obtained the sources via
CVS".

To address the confusion, I would suggest that that paragraph be
deleted, and the previous one extended thus:

# ... Take care not to confuse the top level source directory for GCC
# with its 'gcc' subdirectory.  The top level source directory
# contains a file named MAINTAINERS.  You must configure the entire
# tree, by running the configure script in the top level source
# directory, or the build will fail.

Suggest also that this:

# % cd *objdir*
# % *srcdir*/configure [target] [options]

be changed to this:

# % cd *objdir*
# % ../*srcdir*/configure [target] [options]

to emphasize that *objdir* and *srcdir* must be entirely separate.

I would send a patch but I do not know where the master copy of this
file lives or how to update all of its children.

-- 
zw    This notion of the domain specificity of information is, patently, of
      no use to anybody.  I mention it simply to get it out of the way.
      	-- Jerry Fodor, _The Mind Doesn't Work That Way_


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]