This is the mail archive of the
gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: [PATCH] gcc/Makefile.in gcc-3_0-branch, pass CFLAGS to stage1_build
- To: gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, gbsadler1 at lcisp dot com, dj at redhat dot com, gcc-bugs at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] gcc/Makefile.in gcc-3_0-branch, pass CFLAGS to stage1_build
- From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha at arm dot com>
- Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:35:12 +0100
- cc: Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com
- Organization: ARM Ltd.
- Reply-To: Richard dot Earnshaw at arm dot com
> > During stage1, we should be able to override CFLAGS from the
> > commandline. The comments in the Makefile.in say this explicitly.
> > But, they are not being passed to stage1 build. I was reading some
> build
> > logs when I noticed stage1 being built with some odd flags,
> > investigation led me to wrongly conclude the previous patch. Now, I
> am
> > fairly certain of the attached patch being correct.
>
> It looks correct to me, but I wonder if there are additional flags
> (the stage2 list is quite long) that stage1 should have.
> AFAICT from comments around stag1_build, it is not really important
> to pass stage1 lots of flags as the bootstrap may be done with a
> native compiler. However, by the time stage2_build is called,
> xgcc_stage1 is available with support for all of gcc's flags.
> > Is attaching this here correct? Or should I let this thread die and
> > submit a new patch?
>
> It at least needs a valid ChangeLog entry, but this mailing list is
> the correct place for it.
>
> > - $(MAKE) CC="$(CC)" libdir=$(libdir) LANGUAGES="$(BOOT_LANGUAGES)"
>
> > + $(MAKE) CC="$(CC)" libdir=$(libdir) LANGUAGES="$(BOOT_LANGUAGES)"
> \
> > + CFLAGS="$(CFLAGS)"
> Ok here goes. I'll attach patch again, include ChangeLog entry and
> change subject/thread to match.
Hmm, this topic was discussed over two years ago (I brought it up). It
was rejected then because of the risk that the installed compiler might
not be able to build a usable stage1 compiler. Sadly, this is exactly
what is happening now on arm-netbsd when we try to bootstrap with the
system compiler (egcs-1.2 derived).
See the following mails for a discussion on the subject:
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1998-11/msg00172.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1998-11/msg00185.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1998-11/msg00189.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/1998-11/msg00207.html
Can we back out the following please? There's no technical need for it,
and the only effect is that it shaves a small amount of time of the stage2
build.
+ 2001-03-22 Gordon Sadler <gbsadler1@lcisp.com>
+
+ * Makefile.in (stage1_build): Pass CFLAGS to stage1_build.
+