This is the mail archive of the gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

RE: Bootstrap failure: cxxmain.c:930: syntax error before `('


Ok, looks like DEFUN is obsolete and intentionally not defined when building
GCC. I tested this patch in both binutils and gdb, but never in GCC, so I
did not see this. Sorry about that. I'll make sure to test with GCC also in
the future. Here is a fix:





 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Gerald Pfeifer [mailto:pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 15, 2000 7:39 AM
To:	gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org; Kenneth Block; Hans-Peter Nilsson
Subject:	Bootstrap failure: cxxmain.c:930: syntax error before `('

Ahem, the tree is getting extremely fragile this week. :-(

I believe the following patch

   2000-11-15  Kenneth Block  <kenneth.block@compaq.com>

        * cplus_dem.c: Add gnat demangler.  Add java to demangle style
        list.

installed by H-P is responsible for the following bootstrap failure
on i386-unknown-freebsd4.1 and sparc-sun-solaris2.6.

   gmake[3]: Leaving directory `/files/pfeifer/OBJ-1115-13:15/gcc'
   rm -f cxxmain.c
   ln -s /sw/test/gcc/gcc/gcc/../libiberty/cplus-dem.c cxxmain.c
   gcc -c -DMAIN  -DIN_GCC    -g  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings
    -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic
    -Wno-long-long  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H  -I. -I. -I/sw/test/gcc/gcc/gcc
    -I/sw/test/gcc/gcc/gcc/. -I/sw/test/gcc/gcc/gcc/config
    -I/sw/test/gcc/gcc/gcc/../include \ -DVERSION=\"2.97\" cxxmain.c
   :
   cxxmain.c:930: syntax error before `('
   :
   gmake[2]: *** [cxxmain.o] Error 1
   gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/files/pfeifer/OBJ-1115-13:15/gcc'
   gmake[1]: *** [stage_a] Error 2
   gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/files/pfeifer/OBJ-1115-13:15/gcc'

...where the line in question is the following:

    static void
--> DEFUN (grow_vect, (old_vect, size, min_size, element_size),
    void** old_vect

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry" pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

2000-11-15  Kenneth Block  <kenneth.block@compaq.com>

        * cplus_dem.c: Eliminate use of DEFUN, it is obsolete and cannot
	be used in GCC.

*** cplus-dem.c.orig2	Wed Oct 11 18:05:56 2000
--- cplus-dem.c	Wed Nov 15 08:49:33 2000
***************
*** 927,937 ****
     ELEMENT_SIZE, grow it to contain at least MIN_SIZE objects,
     updating *OLD_VECT and *SIZE as necessary. */
  static void
! DEFUN (grow_vect, (old_vect, size, min_size, element_size),
!        void** old_vect
!        AND size_t* size
!        AND size_t min_size
!        AND int element_size)
  {
    if (*size < min_size) {
      *size *= 2;
--- 927,937 ----
     ELEMENT_SIZE, grow it to contain at least MIN_SIZE objects,
     updating *OLD_VECT and *SIZE as necessary. */
  static void
! grow_vect (old_vect, size, min_size, element_size)
!      void** old_vect;
!      size_t* size;
!      size_t min_size;
!      int element_size;
  {
    if (*size < min_size) {
      *size *= 2;
***************
*** 951,959 ****
     The resulting string is valid until the next call of ada_demangle.
  */
  static char *
! DEFUN (ada_demangle, (mangled, style, option),
!        const char* mangled
!        AND int option ATTRIBUTE_UNUSED)
  {
    int i, j;
    int len0;
--- 951,959 ----
     The resulting string is valid until the next call of ada_demangle.
  */
  static char *
! ada_demangle (mangled, option)
!      const char* mangled;
!      int option;
  {
    int i, j;
    int len0;

Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]