This is the mail archive of the gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]

specs created incorrectly for crossly built native compiler


Hello,
I tried entering this on gnatswab, but I received no confirmation that
the ticket
entered your system...

Originator: Burt Silverman

Release: gcc-2.95.2

Environment: configure --build=i386-redhat-linux --host=powerpc-linux
 --prefix=/usr -v
The root directory of my hostANDtarget is NFS mounted from
my build machine
(/ on the hostANDtarget is /some_path/target on my
build machine.

Description: From looking at Makefiles and so forth, my understanding is

that the specs file is created from xgcc while xgcc is a
cross compiler running on my build platform (i386-redhat-
linux) and producing powerpc-linux output.
Note how I do this: my build directory is

/some_path/target/some_more_path/build-gcc

and I configure and then run "make" in that directory.
Afterwards I log into my hostANDtarget powerpc platform and
run "make install" from /some_more_path/build-gcc; the only
caveat is I have to play a trick with gcc_version_trigger
(I define it as
$TARGET/path_to_source/gcc-2.95.2/gcc/version.c),
and $TARGET is unset on my hostANDtarget machine.

So the problem is that specs is installed as being for a
cross compiler, whereas I have ultimately built a native
compiler.

And that results in the inability to find files like crti.o
during the collect2 stage of executing "gcc file.c".

Now, I see references to building native compilers and
building cross compilers, but never do I see procedures for
building native compilers on a different build platform. So
my problem looks like a bug.

Can you publish procedures for cross building native compil-
ers?

Fix: My workaround is to hide the specs file after installation.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]