This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: autoconf/autoheader required in some cases
- To: Todd Vierling <tv at pobox dot com>
- Subject: Re: autoconf/autoheader required in some cases
- From: Jeffrey A Law <law at cygnus dot com>
- Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:37:32 -0600
- cc: egcs-bugs at cygnus dot com
- Reply-To: law at cygnus dot com
In message <Pine.NEB.firstname.lastname@example.org>you write:
> If, say, you don't use the `touch' script, and you don't have autoconf or
> autoheader installed at all, the Makefiles will attempt to run autoconf and
> autoheader anyway.
> I've seen a plethora of GNU pkgs that have _checked_for_ the presence of
> autoconf and autoheader before using them. Wouldn't it be possible, and
> maybe even trivial, to add such checks to egcs's configure.in scripts?
Actually I think it would be better to use the "maintainer mode" of
autoconf/autoheader to control the dependencies generated in the
Makefiles. Feel free to submit changes to do this.