Re: [PR fortran/85797, patch] - ICE in gfc_element_size, at fortran/target-memory.c:126

Hi Harald,

My reading of the standard suggests that this is not allowed:

   SOURCE shall be a scalar or array of any type.

   MOLD shall be a scalar or array of any type. ...

I read the stanard differently.  For comparison, look at UNPACK:

# VECTOR  shall be a rank-one array of any type.

and a function result is fine there.

Also, looking at how the paragraph about MOLD continues:

# MOLD  shall be a scalar or array of any type. If it is a variable, it
# need not be defined.

The sentence starting with "If" would be redundant if MOLD could
only be a variable.

However, I am ready to be convinced otherwise :-)

Regards

	Thomas