Re: cray pointer behavior in 4.6 (bug?)

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012, Tobias Burnus wrote:

I think the proper way is to use Fortran 2003's C bindings. See http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortran/Interoperability-with-C.html for some introduction. I don't know whether you can use this Fortran 2003 already or whether you have to stick to Fortran 95 (plus non-standard extensions like Cray/DEC pointers). However, essentially all somewhat new compilers should support those.

We tried that previously (about a year ago) and found that we were having more trouble getting the gforgran 2003 C bindings to work correctly than the cray pointers. We will definiately move toward 2003 C bindings as quickly as possible, but for now we also have cray pointers to work with.

As written, it should be sufficient to use -fno-inline for the files where subroutines alias non-target variables with Cray pointers via assignment. That might be a simpler solution. Does this work for the big program?

In fact, -fno-inline does not fix the problem with the big program. (-fno-automatic does make the big program work.)

Ryan