Re: default return value of ubound and lbound

On Jun 3 2012, Tobias Burnus wrote:

I think inventing new extensions is usually not a good idea. There seems to be a general (fortunate) tendency to move to standard conforming compilers and programs.

I agree with that, but one of the most important ways that languages get extended is by a compiler showing that something can be specified cleanly, implemented for reasonable effort, and is useful. I believe that most extensions should be considered with one eye on being put into a future version of the standard.

And, of course, any use of an unstandardised extension should be well
documented and with a compiler warning if at all possible.  gfortran
and gcc are pretty good in that respect.

Regards, Nick.